Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Mythbusters and RFID

I just read this on Tom's Hardware site and was really intrigued....


" Adam Savage of Mythbusters, when speaking to the audience of The Last HOPE hacker conference, revealed why RFID has become a bit of a taboo topic at Discovery Channel. In response to an audience question about revisiting RFID as an episode, Adam responds, “Dude, the RFID thing. I’m sorry. It just is not going to happen. ... Here’s what happened. I’m not sure how much of this story I’m allowed to tell, but I’ll tell you what I know.” Mythbusters did cover RFID in an episode last January, but did not focus on RFID security concerns."

You can read the full story here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Mythbuster-RFID-HOPE,6313.html
The article is almost a year old, but like I said, I just ran across it.

This isnt the first time I have mentioned RFID here.
I did a couple of entries here and here back in 2008.
And I'm sure my more illustrious fellow researchers have done even more on it.

"I’m allowed to tell, but I’ll tell you what I know.”
Is that concerning copyright on the RFID chip itself?
Or something more sinister?

If you read the article above, you'll see that several of the "myths" associated with the RFID chips may not be myths at all.

If you look up CASPIAN (Consumers Against Supermarket Privacy Invasion and Numbering) and Richard Stallman, you'll see that a lot of things you may have thought were possible with RFID chips, really are.

No comments:

Popular Posts